Monday, September 27, 2010

A Reformed Shopper

Since my temporary insanity of buying a designer purse every time I fancied one and learned the hard lessons of credit card bills, I took a serious look at my spending habit and decided to tone it waaaay down. How did I do it?

Step 1 - Live faaaar away from Tysons Corner mall. There's nothing like a migraine-inducing traffic jam to deter you from going to the mall to buy more stuff.

Step 2 - If you do find yourself driving to the mall..let's say after 7pm when traffic has died down and on your drive back home you realize that there are shopping bags in your trunk and you don't know how it got there.... remember that it's ok to change your mind...and that's why there's a 30, 60, and sometimes even a 90 day return policy at most clothing stores. Repeat after me.... Return, Return, Return!

Step 3 - Make lots of girlfriends that wear the same size as you...because what may be something they don't want to be pictured in again is something that you really really wish you could be pictured in ASAP...and then post the pictures on facebook...and wait for your friends to comment how awesome you look in it. LOL

Step 4 - Make the most out of the few things that you actually buy. For instance, an elastic belt with a gold jeweled butterfly clasp that I purchased at BCBG on sale for $13 and have found every excuse to wear since

The lovely belt ...
























Worn at work on a casual Friday
Dress: $15 at Target
Cardigan: Present from a friend
Shoes: $60 Guess from DSW









Worn with a printed dress (that doesn't fit me anymore)
Which reminds me...

Step 5 - Don't gain weight so you can keep wearing your clothes!

Dress: $180 Nannete Lapore from Cusp (probably the most expensive thing in my closet)

Shoes: $180 (I think?) Christina Louboutin from some crazy Saks sale two years ago










Worn at a black tie optional wedding...
Top: $13 at Forever 21
Skirt: $19 at Forever 21
Both purchased an hour before the wedding because the dress above did not fit! =(










Will be worn on New Year's Eve...
Dress: $20 at Forever 21

Oh and Step 6 - Try not to pay more than $20 for a party dress that you're probably going to wear only once.


(on a side note, am I too old to be wearing this??)

2 comments:

  1. you have the greatest blog in american history. thank you for putting a smile on my face.

    ReplyDelete