Thursday, July 8, 2010

My Secret to Happiness

I'm all about me....and it probably seems that way at least that's the way my online persona looks. And I admit,I was very much all about my life. Focusing on all its imperfections and what it lacked. I'd focus on how others did me wrong. How unfairly I was treated at home, at work, and everywhere else in between. I was miserable, unappreciative, jealous of others, and always seeking for more and more and more.

There is nothing more disheartening than seeing someone who take their life for granted. And I'm talking about taking it for granted in the most simple sense (not like some prodigy kid who got hooked on drugs and is now homeless). Imagine that at my early twenties, I was making decent money, driving a working car, working for the government, and making a decent living. I had family and friends that genuinely cared for my well being. I could go to the mall to pick out a new clubbing outfit for the weekend. I could meet up for happy hour at any day of the week...Yet I had the nerve to allow ONE thing that I lacked (a boyfriend) to consume me.

Thankfully, we are given the gift of hindsight and memory. Had I forgotten those experiences, I wouldn't have been able to look back today and realize how ridiculous I was back then. It seems, that as time goes by, my solution to finally stop disrespecting my life was to simply snap out of it and focus on something else...focus on being good to other people...appreciate the things that aren't so bad in my life. Do I sound cliche yet?...'cause I'm gonna keep going ... =)

I couldn't really define happiness for you. I don't know what perfect means. Yes, I know I keep on putting up posts about how awesome Joe is and you might even think that we have the ideal relationship. Our relationship...my life...is still a work in progress. I still complain...but when the complaining gets really bad, I slap myself in the face (sometimes even literally). I think about all the things that I have, and I move on. Is it really that bad that I still don't own a classic Chanel flap bag in caviar leather? Is it really that bad I'm not driving an awesome car?

All I'm trying to say is...
Focus on the good, focus on being good to others, and after a while, you might actually start feeling...

Happy

and if that still doesn't work, I think you just might have to shell out some money and buy yourself a ticket to a third world country.

2 comments: