Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Graduation Regret

I still remember graduation from College Park like it was yesterday. A few of us met at Mckeldin mall to take pictures with our parents. I had on my favorite bone colored shoes (which I've ruined since =( ) and the same dress that I wore to my high school graduation. As we got situated in Cole Field house and watched as the graduate students walked up to the stage, I thought to myself that I would be doing the same someday. I would be that person graduating for my master's degree.

Unfortunately, at around halfway through my program, I began to feel very cynical...almost thinking that my degree really wouldn't be worth anything. I started to regret signing up for it to begin with.... and I all of the sudden forgot that dream I had of walking at graduation. So, I didn't sign up for it. I didn't buy a cap and gown. I didn't get tickets. I had absolutely no plans of attending.

I would have been walking at graduation this Saturday had I taken care of my attitude a little sooner. Instead, the conclusion of my master's degree will be nothing but the day that I submit my final report. No celebrations to be had. No hats to throw in the air. No proud moments to remember years from now where I get to sift through old albums and see a picture of Joe and I perhaps toasting to the past two years of both of us being in school and working full time.

I suppose that the moral of this story is to never downplay an accomplishment. I know not everyone is into the whole celebration thing. I was foolish enough to think that I wasn't. But 'cmon...this is me...the girl who likes to have multiple birthday dinners every year... Why did I ever think that skipping graduation would be ok?

I still have that dress I wore to my high school and undergrad graduation. I think I may just wear it this Saturday...

2 comments:

  1. yeah i really wish that you had decided to go to graduation too. I would have loved to have been there to see you graduate. Wear the dress! Not many people can say that they can still fit into their high school and college graduation dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. congrats on graduating ak! its ok, i'm proud that i at least was able to graduate with you the first time around.

    ReplyDelete